Sunday, May 25, 2008

Virginia is for lovers...

of great wine!

I do have a west coast/European bias. I'll admit it. I do try to keep an open mind, however, so I've been enjoying New York Riesling and Cab Franc, and am even warming to Missouri and North Carolina, amongst other states. But one in particular has me in its spell: Virginia!

I went with a coworker and friends to a Virginia wine festival recently, and it was a very impressive showing. Although I was impressed with the range of both European vinifera and native grapes, reds and whites, one winery in particular stood out for me: Horton Cellars. The sparkling Viognier was the star of the show, and is now certainly one of my favorite sparklers. Citrus overtones with a great touch of sweetness, the wine is smooth, lively but subtle--it would be great for any kind of celebration, as well as a great accompaniment to food. I'm thinking smoky barbeque, spinach pie or a hamburger with caramelized onions and gorgonzola cheese--the acid can hold up to strong flavors. Their Cabernet Franc was also delicious--well structured and not overpowering green tannin, and the late harvest Viognier was lovely. Nice hints of petrol, and not cloying. Their fruit wines are remarkably well balanced, which is certainly rare. The peach wine was wonderful, ripe but focused, and the blackberry and cranberry wines were zingy. All three would be an excellent compliment to dessert--a rich vanilla bean ice cream, or a matching fruit tart.

Virginia makes great wine. I'm a believer.

No comments: