Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

St. Patrick's Day is, in my opinion, the best "holiday" we celebrate in the US. Perhaps it's not the most meaningful, we can leave that to holidays like Yom Kippur, Easter, etc., but it speaks to dynamic social shifts. Less than 100 years ago the Irish in America were a marginalized people (you've all seen the signs from the 1920s: Help Wanted--Irish Need Not Apply). Today, almost every major US city has a parade on St. Patrick's Day, it's hip to be Irish, and the country itself, with the exception of generally waning political and religious strife in Northern Ireland, is a model of cultural tolerance and economic prosperity. Plus, as a people they can drink the rest of the world under the table. As a holiday it's grand--there's no need for a gift exchange and you don't have to dress up. All you have to do is wear green and enjoy beer or whiskey.

I really want to post today, since it's my favorite holiday. I racked my brain--how does wine relate to St. Patrick's Day? Should I post about green tannins? Irish-born winemakers? Then it hit me--this is a holiday about beer (and I do love Guinness). And as every winemaker knows, at the end of the day, what you want is a brewski. So, I'd like to direct you to an excellent article about beer from Budget Travel today, and a blessing to toast your friends with:

May the roads rise to meet you.
May the wind be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
The rain fall soft upon your fields
And, until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

No comments: